March 21, 2022 By 770 Locksmith & Doors
1. Ask your friends and family. In an ideal situation, a friend or family member will give you the number of a trusted locksmith who they have worked with numerous times. A personal recommendation is far more reliable than an online listing when you’re wondering how to find a locksmith for the first time.
2. Find a local locksmith. Some disreputable locksmiths will list a street address on directories or websites, so that you think they’re a local business operating nearby. In reality, the address will belong to another business or contain a vacant lot. Verify online that the company’s phone number matches their street address or drive to the address yourself. If the company doesn’t have a storefront, they’re probably a mobile business attempting to get business in multiple areas (and they may charge a traveling fee). Find someone local for best results.
3. Ask for identification. When the locksmith arrives, ask for identification and a business card. Also look at the side of their vehicle and the invoice/bill. A reputable, experienced company will have their name or logo in all of these locations. In addition, you should expect the locksmith to confirm your identity, to ensure that you truly own the house or car that is in need of a locksmithing service.
4. Find a good locksmith before an emergency. In an emergency situation, it’s easy to get impatient and foolhardy, but learning how to find a locksmith takes time. So instead of waiting until you’re locked out of your home to find a locksmith, research companies before an emergency. Then, once you’ve found a reputable company, keep their number in your phone or wallet so that you’re always prepared.
5. Ensure that the company is licensed, bonded, and insured. Are all of these qualifications necessary? No. Will you feel more comfortable with a company that has them? Definitely. The fact that the company is insured and bonded will protect you and your property. The fact that they are licensed will help prove that the company is made of trustworthy and experienced professionals.